June 15, 2012
For immediate release
PEI’s BIO|FOOD|TECH wins National Award
View details and
Prince Edward Island's BIO|FOOD|TECH has been awarded the 2012 Food Innovation Award at the Canadian Institute of Food Science and Technology’s recent 50th National Conference “Innovation meets Commercialization.” This national award cites BIO|FOOD|TECH for “Outstanding Work in Food Innovation.”
Among the projects recognized for the Food Innovation Award is the outstanding success of the Honibe product developed by Island Abbey Foods that won the 2010 Global SIAL D'Or, known as the world’s top food innovation award. BIO|FOOD|TECH helped with this innovation from Concept to Pilot to Market.
Established in 1987 as the PEI Food Technology Centre, and rebranded in 2011, BIO|FOOD|TECH has completed more than 1,000 innovation projects in the last 25 years.
“BIO|FOOD|TECH provides comprehensive technical support for the food industry in Prince Edward Island from concept to pilot to market,” says Innovation and Advanced Learning Minister Allen Roach. “This technical support is an important foundation for our food industry in Prince Edward Island, adding value to our agricultural and marine food resources.”
BIO|FOOD|TECH assists clients to explore new product and process concepts, to develop and manufacture them in their pilot plant, and provides technical help to maintain products in the market, such as food safety support.
Dr. Jim Smith, the Executive Director of BIO|FOOD|TECH said, “It is a great honour for BIO|FOOD|TECH to receive this award from our professional association. We are very proud of the work that we do for our clients. To be recognized by our scientific and technical peers for the innovation projects that we have done is very gratifying.”
Further examples of BIO|FOOD|TECH’s success stories can be found at www.biofoodtech.ca.
BIO|FOOD|TECH is owned by the Provincial Government of PEI and is located on the UPEI campus. Established in 1987 as the PEI Food Technology Centre, BIO|FOOD|TECH is a confidential, contract research, processing and analytical services company. BIO|FOOD|TECH provides many specialized services to companies and entrepreneurs in both the food and bio sectors. Our professional team is made up of food and bioprocessing scientists, microbiologists, technologists and support staff.
• Free preliminary consultations and project proposals
• Strict confidentiality to protect your intellectual property and privacy
• New product and process development from kitchen to commercial-scale
Shelf-life testing, nutrition labelling, packaging and regulatory assistance
• Bioscience: fermentation, extraction, purification and separation expertise
• Federally-inspected pilot plants for new commercial product incubation
• Accredited laboratory analyses
• Training workshops (food safety, plant sanitation, HACCP, etc.)
• Troubleshooting to assist in identifying risks and to develop appropriate risk management systems; implementation of HACCP programs; assistance to comply with GFSI standards
Referral assistance to funding agencies (NRC-IRAP, Innovation PEI, Canadian Dairy Commission, etc.)
• ISO 9001:2008 certified
• Certified organic processing is available. BIO|FOOD|TECH is certified by Pro-Cert Organic Systems for development of organic products. Pro-Cert certifies that BIO|FOOD|TECH has met the standards of the USDA National Organic Program, and is compliant with Canadian Organic Products Regulations, Quebec Reference Standard, and European Organic Regulations.
BIO|FOOD|TECH is a founding member of the FOODTECH Canada network. FOODTECH Canada is a network of Canada’s leading food technology centres, offering the food and bioprocessing industry access to state-of-the-art equipment, facilities and expertise to commercialize innovative products and technologies.